In the hope of eliminating the fears of the new commuter and along with the hope of building a community for the new and experienced bike commuter alike for questions and support. Bike Jax is happy to announce as the first part of our Bike Commuter Services.** The Bike Commuter Mentors program. A program designed to pair up new riders with established cyclists that will help ease the uncertainties of the less experienced.
Become a Bike Commuter Mentor!
We encourage all experienced Bicycle Commuters in the Jacksonville and surrounding areas to join our pool of available Mentors. There is no required level of time for involvement. When a Bike Commuter Coordinator informs you of a new mentoring opportunity. You will decide whether it's right for you before your name is given to the prospective bike commuter. Bike Jax will make every effort to match you with other riders that live and commute within close proximity.
Mentors should be:
- Somewhat experienced in using the bicycle for transportation.
- Comfortable in urban cycling and riding in traffic.
- Familiar with the roadways and geographical area they will mentor in.
- Capable of effectively communicating with new commuters.
- Able to recognize when a new commuter's bicycle is in need of maintenance or repair.*
- If this sounds like you and you are willing to help others join our ranks, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What Will I Have To Do As A Bike Mentor?
When you commit to mentor a new commuter, we expect that you will:
- Respond promptly to the request for your assistance and be punctual in participation.
- Know and abide by applicable traffic laws.
- Always wears a helmet.
- Be patient working with the new commuter, and respect a new commuter's decision to terminate a ride because of unacceptable risk or difficulty and work with them in finding an alternative or returning to their starting point.
- Most mentoring engagements will extend over 2-4 weeks and progress through the following steps:
- An introductory conversation over the phone or in person to learn or establish the new commuters route, level of cycling experience and needs along with tips on how to prepare.
- As the new commuter prepares for their first ride, you'll answer their questions on equipment, clothing, supplies, and other "tricks of the trade".
- Agreement on time and route for the new commuter's first ride to work and upon their ongoing commuting goal.
- Accompany the new commuter on one actual commute during the new commuter’s normal commuting time.
- Set realistic goals with the new commuter.
- Be available for follow-up questions and suggestions as the new commuter gains experience.
- Of course, we hope you and the entire mentor group will be able to maintain contact with most new commuters via the Bike Jax Commuter Support Group.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor or have additional questions. Please email email@example.com
*Note: The Mentor is not required to perform any physical repairs to a new commuter’s bicycle.
** The Bike Jax Commuter Services is part of one of the many new programs Bike Jax will be offering once the website is up.