One of the many projects we at Bike Jax have taken on is working with April Patterson of Jax REcycle. April takes old non-working bikes rehabs them and then provides those bicycles to community members needing a reliable form of transportation. Several times a year she sends out the call for bikes and organizes a great group of volunteers to bust out the elbow grease and get discarded and donated bikes back into working shape. The refurbished bikes are then given to residents of Community Connections and Sulzbacher Center.
You can also get involved. When you bring in that old bike learn how you can help out. You don't have to have any bike maintenance skills either. Here are just some of ways you can help out:
- Work on bikes to repair bent or broken parts, restore the working mechanisms with new axel grease and cleaning, and replace worn out parts and tires.
- Help transport bicycles to the recipient organizations within a day or two of the bicycle work night event.
- Look for bicycles at garage sales, on the internet, trash pickups, and from donors.
- Staff or host bicycle drives.
- Work on stencils for painted frames and for event graphics.
- Research programs in other communities.
If your time is limited or you don't have bike to give. These items are also greatly needed:
- Locks and chains (together or separate)
- Spray Paint (bright colors)
- Storage Space